Tuesday 7 August 2012

Deadwood or the result of the impatience of Wenger

Arsenal News

@goonerdiaby

After reading a post from Akhil_gooner about Arsenal’s overall squad, I have been thinking a lot about the future of our club and where we are going to end up this season. With the players that we have and the ones are going to bring in, I along with many fellow Gooners believe that we could actually do very well this season,  and even pick up a trophy, and why not? With the fire power we have in RVP (if he stays) Podolski, Giroud, Walcott and Cazorla (soon to be completed) we really could have a massive impact this season. I would literally put money on this team bagging a trophy. We all say season after season that it’ll be our year, but we have what we need to do what needs done. But a good start to the season is vital, as well as not slipping up in January/February and towards the end of the season, scenarios that have happened time and time again. But they have happened as the squad have lacked depth, and quality depth at that. If Wenger gets Sahin also, why should he stop there, he should buy at least one or two more players and sell some of the “deadwood” at the club.

But to me, a lot of Arsenal’s players are actually really good and shouldn’t be classed as being “deadwood”, because of the quality they undoubtedly have, an example being Nicklas Bendtner.  Big Nick is definitely one of my favourite players at the club, I don’t know why but I really tend to like the underrated players because I see the potential they have and see the odd little game changing things that they do. The reason I like him and feel he shouldn’t be sold is because if you look at his games for Arsenal, he mainly played on the wings. It’s like putting a bonafide striker on the wing, it just doesn’t work out. He may not have the best scoring record but playing on the wing, you really wouldn’t. Examples of his quality are in Euro 2012 his performances for Denmark and also the hat trick he scored against Porto a couple of seasons ago. He does have the quality, just need to be put in his position.

A reason why I would defend the “deadwood” at the club is because of Bosscielny, I mean Laurent Koscielny, another player I greatly admire. In his first season a lot of fans got on his back as he was liable to many mistakes and perhaps cost us some games. But if you look at things, in his first season for the club, he played the majority of the games, and that is something that is quite hard, as he also had to switch leagues. But we stuck with the big boss and look at him now; I read a statistic that said he made the most game saving tackles out of anyone in the league. No more needs to be said.

The point I am trying to make is that we should give some players who definitely have talent a chance, but I see Wengers problem, there are a lot more proven players in these positions. Now players like Bendtner and Chamakh slide down the pecking order with the new arrivals. But even so, these players could stay and be involved in a rotation system in case of injuries. I refer to him almost every entry but Abou Diaby is an example of a player who some see as being “deadwood” but actually has so much talent, and luckily for him, Wenger has faith in the man. I noticed his flair and calm approach to games, and how when Arsenal won games, he played extremely well, it’s just a shame he got an injury. Tomas Rosicky is a player who has had a lot of pressure on him due to a couple of poor performances, and didn’t he pick that form up well. But as usual for us, injuries struck him. Ramsey seemed to impress at the Olympics which is good news, and hopefully the Song rumours are utter rubbish!

All I all, I am pretty happy with the way the club is moving, and if we can stay injury free and get in enough players who would give us depth, I wouldn’t be too surprised if we win a trophy or two. And if we don’t, this transfer season is a great stepping stone for the season after.

For more, subscribe to this blog and follow me on Twitter: @goonerdiaby

No comments:

Post a Comment